Friday, April 24, 2015

Today is April 24th

 Today Armenians all over the world (and yes, we are literally scattered all over the world) have united in commemoration of a genocide that took place in what is now Turkey 100 years ago.  Every Armenian family was touched, torn apart and irreparably damaged by the events.  Some losing their whole family.  I fretted as to what to say on this blog today and then I saw my daughter's post on her Instagram account and I knew I found the answer.  I will re-post it here with her beautiful picture.

People ask me why it is important to Armenians that the genocide our ancestors endured is labeled as "genocide". I've thought about how to answer that question and why it is important to me as a half armenian person. For me it is personal; my family suffered as a result of it and it is not fair that I can't grieve for them appropriately. My great grandmother did not lose 5 of her children and run away scared from the home she loves because of a war to which she was not a part of. It is personal because I know that my race alone was the reason a group of people wanted our death. However, a better answer would be the following: We as humans should not, can not live amongst each other in a civil way and learn from our mistakes if they are brushed under a blood soaked rug. We must acknowledge what has happened so we make sure it does not continue to happen.

1 comment:

  1. What a profound statement by your daughter.

    Acknowledgement is only for the healing of the victims but also for perpetrators. Denying genocide also causes great harm to the deniers.

    Germany has become a healthy democracy and a full member of the modern family of mature civilized nations by acknowledging, taking responsibility, and making amends for the Holocaust. Germany is a model for other perpetrators who deny their crimes.

    Turkey (and Japan and other genocide denying nations) need to follow Germany's example.

    ReplyDelete