Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Sewing Machine

My mother was an artist, in the true sense of the word.  Everything to her was a learning education, a chance to teach us something.  Preschool for us was road trips. I remember going to a turkey farm to see how turkeys were raised.  We took train rides to I don't remember where, but the train ride was fun.  She was creative and she was fun.  She always drew cartoon characters, Disney images and various sketches on our book covers.  I treasured those.  Later on in life she found the time to pursue her artistic side.  I found this the other day, all crumpled up and falling apart - a sketch she made of me while I was at my sewing machine and judging by the picture and my intense pose, I am undoing something I did wrong. I can just feel the frustration.
1969 Sketch

The picture my mother used for her sketch

3 comments:

  1. Never saw this one before. She really managed to capture the mood of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had that creative, artistic eye, for sure

      Delete