Saturday, May 14, 2016

Americans, Indians, Pow-Wows


Like a butterfly as her decorations suggest
Today we enjoyed the annual American-Indian Pow-Wow at Big Sandy Rancheria of Auberry.  It was my second time to go and it was a  lot of fun.  I really enjoy the regalia (their beautiful attire that the American-Indians wear) and the dancing.

It was a beautiful setting, the day was gorgeous with a cool breeze and the Indian Tacos were awesome.

Grass Dance
One dance, we were told, was called the grass dance.  This one was to get the ground ready for planting.  The yellow color of the regalia represents the dry earth that is being readied for planting.

Color guard and flag ceremony
I love their flag ceremony that they always have.  What struck me today was the poem that was read and the explanation that was told of how American-Indians (their word) defend this land to the utmost, this is their homeland and that is why you see so much reverence given to their Veterans and their elders.  Something the rest of us could learn from.

There were flags from several branches of the military, including the Coast Guard and the Marines.



I cannot include all the pictures I took.  There were too many to chose from.  I tried to pick the best to get a glimpse of the beauty in these pow-wows.
The young girls dance

My friend, Erica, the original Indian princess, and her twin daughters





















And of course, I had to get a pair of earrings made by local tribe members.  How could I not?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. I couldn't attend, so it is nice to see the festivities. I am really dying for an Indian taco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I hoped to convey, and yes, the Indian tacos were great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. powwows

    ReplyDelete