Friday, April 21, 2017

Kevork Guleserian - A Hero in a Desperate Time


L-R - Areknaz (daughter), Zmroukht (mother)
and Kevork Guleserian

Kevork Guleserian

In an interview with my mother on tape, my grandmother talked about her perils during the Armenian genocide.  One chapter I want to talk about is the family of Kevork Guleserian that saved my grandmother and helped her tremendously during that time.

Here is the excerpt of that interview:  (translated from Ottoman Turkish)

HRIPSEME:  We were in Damascus. Papa was in military. We heard that my father was in Damascus. He sent somebody to bring me. I had a child in my arms. The man came and told me everything and said, “I will bring you as part of my wife’s family.” He could not have sent me. He brought me a head covering. I was going to dress like a Turkish woman to be able to go. They were working on getting me a passport and when the travel arrangements were being made. The son of the ruler was there and asked them if there were any Armenians in the group and they said, “There is one.” So they got very upset and I couldn’t go. Then they took papa to military. I was left with my child in my arms. I had nobody there.
AZAD. To Turkish military?
HRIPSEME. There were Turks there too (Ottoman Empire, Syria was under Turkish rule).
AZAD. I thought that if you were in Damascus, the government was different.HRIPSEME. There are Christian Arabs too. But the Turks are there too. So I wrote to my father and explained the situation. My father sent another man to bring me to him. By that time I have heard that in Hama, Angel’s grandmother, and my sister-in-law and my father-in-law’s family. They are Guleserian. Angel, they are Baronyan. I heard that Kevork , were in Hama. There were men going to Hama and they said, “Let’s go together.” So I went with them and found them. Everybody got off when we were near Hama. I was the only one left. They gave me to a woman who had donkeys and this woman took me to Hama on a donkey. We had nothing. I had the child in my arms and the child’s necessities tied on my back. We came by a cemetery and the woman said, “I will not go in here.” She took me off of the donkey. She said, “I will be afraid to be in a cemetery. You do whatever you will.” I went by myself, I found a shop. I asked the man in the shop, “There is the Baronyan family living here, do you know them?” He said, “Yes, they went to Haleppo.”
AZAD. Oohh.
HRIPSEME.I said, “There is Kevork Guleserian here.” He said, “Yes, they are here but their place is very far.” Then they locked the door. The child wanted some water, I gave him some water and I went sat by the store. And it got dark, it was evening. Then I saw my father-in-laws (grand)son, he later said that he would never walk the way I was sitting at, he would always go the other way. I lifted my head and saw him, Kevork. I was looking for them. He got very surprised and asked what had happened and I told him everything. He took me, the child was in my arms, he took the load I was carrying and took me to their home.
AZAD. That’s good.
HRIPSEME. He knocked on the door, they opened the door, a month, or a month and a half. Papa’s brother’s wife was there.AZAD. She was Guleserian.
HRIPSEME. She was Guleserian as well. In about a month the child who was in my arms, died. I was devastated."

The Guleserian family in Syria.  
L-R sitting, Stepan Khidishahian (brother-in-law of Armen), Armen Guleserian, wife Hripseme Guleserian, Zmroukht Guleserian (wife of Kevork, Sr., who died falling on his knife when closing the gate against the enemy), Kevork, Jr. Guleserian.
Standing:  Arshavir, Areknaz Guleserian, Florenza (I believe she married Kevork, Jr.)

 Kevork and Florenza


Inscription on the back of the card wishing Mrs. Hripsema a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Aleppo 1925


















Kevork states here that he is sending both pictures as "a memory of our deportation"






If I ever find the family of Kevork, Jr., I want to thank them for saving my grandmother and giving aid to my family.

2 comments:

  1. In the treaties that ended World War I, France was given the mandate to govern the Ottoman province of Syria.

    Do you know if France protected Armenians, Greeks, and others from further violence from Turks in Syria?

    Or by the end of WWI, Turks would have been fleeing across the Syrian border back into Turkey rather than awaiting their fate under French rule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure they did because the Armenians prospered in Syria - particularly Aleppo. We had many relatives who settled there. It's pretty frustrating for me to see how that portion of Syria has been destroyed and with no thanks to our own government's involvement. I hold the Obama administration responsible for arming the so called rebels. So many of the churches have been blown up and destroyed. They tried to do the same thing to Beirut - the Paris of the Mediterranean, as it is known for. A huge population of Armenians who had settled there also after being forced out of Turkey. 100 years later and it's happening again. Anyway, yes, they were protected there, the refugees built up their own towns and markets. There is an article somewhere, when I find it I will post it here.

    ReplyDelete