Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Losing Someone is Never Easy

One of my husband's coworkers, a fellow teacher, passed away suddenly a few days before school started and a shock wave went through our small community.  I wrote down a few thoughts about these tragedies.

 An end-of-the-year 2014 picture of Bill Gardenhire (or Mr. "G" as they called him) 
and my husband with one of their students.
Mr. "G" in his end of the year Wizard costume, a student, and my husband hidden in his spacesuit costume




Whenever one of my adult children would call to tell me the devastating news of one of their young friends tragically passing away, so sudden and shocking, I would try and come up with some words of wisdom and/or comforting words for them.  

Usually my first words would be, “life is so fragile,” and it truly is.  We are just one heartbeat away from leaving this life, our earthly bodies, and so many that we love and cherish; so much that we want to do and see; so much life yet to live.  I would tell my children to treasure these days and hug those whom they are near.  

It is a nasty reminder that everything must come to an end one day, even our own lives.  It is also a reminder to be close to the ones you love; to live a reality that one day may be all you have.  This sense of urgency and closeness washes over us.  

When my mother was dying of cancer she received a phone call from one of her friends.  What horrible news her friend said, how awful it all is.  My mother exclaimed, “Why?  I have lived a full life; I have done many things that I have enjoyed; I have a wonderful family.  Why be unhappy?”
Even in the end she was so positive.  Will I be that way, I wonder?

Whenever someone close passes away, I always have these same thoughts.  I don’t know what other comforting words there are or any words of wisdom that haven’t already been said or repeated.
Then I am reminded of another story my mother loved to tell.  She had just lost her father and the next day she got the news that her second grandson had been born, my first born.  She was thrilled and she would say – “When one life passes and lights the sky, another is born.”  Life continues on.  “For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face.”  I Cor. 13:12

I can already see Mr. G’s huge smile lighting the skies.

2 comments: